Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11 Remembrance - Respect - Honor

On The 10th Anniversary of 9/11

In Honor & Gratitude to The Brave Men & Women That Sacrificed Dearly








I remember visiting the construction sight of the World Trade Center when it was being built in the late 1960's and early 1970's.  It was a sight to behold and undertaking that a child rarely gets to witness in his/her lifetime.  As an adult New Yorker, having visited the World Trade Center complex more times than I can possibly count, I feel a connection to the place, the idea, and the memory.  Like many, I'll never forget where I was and what I was doing when I saw the first tower on fire on the TV.  I thought I was looking at a random airplane accident.  Just moments after I began watching the news program in the waiting room of a Florida hospital, the second tower was hit.  At first I was confused.  I thought I was watching a replay of the first airplane crash, but what I saw now was not one, but two towers on fire.  I kept looking at the moving images, trying to force my brain to correlate what I was seeing with what I thought was the reality of the world in which I lived.  As the moment came when I realized that this was a horribly vicious and destructive attack-in-progress, my world changed along with the rest of the nation.

The majestic towers I watched grow up over my childhood years was transformed to a twisted and mutilated search and rescue zone - burning and smoldering for months to come.   In a matter of minutes, The World Trade center became Ground Zero.

I was fortunate to not lose any loved ones in the attacks.  Some of my friends were not.
-One childhood friend lost his older cousin (who also lived in our neighborhood), while battling the fire with the FDNY.
-One friend lost his brother who was last known to be at work in one of the towers.
-One friend escaped from the 26th floor of the tower hit by the second plane. I have heard his personal, detailed story of the events.  It is chilling and surreal to me.

I Wish Peace, Safety & Love to America and Her Children.


No comments: