Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Just Wondering: Are You Mad at Ads?



You know those ads you see when you log in to Facebook, Amazon, Yahoo, Swagbucks, and so many other sites?  You probably know that they are targeted specifically to you.  The ads are often matched up with your previous shopping and search patterns, preferences, etc.

I'm just wondering how you feel about it?  Are the targeted ads working for you?

Frankly, I find them more than annoying because they don't know when to stop.  For example, I was recently searching for a business projector (the type that gets attached to a laptop for presentations).  Well, I bought one rather quickly.  However, the ads keep coming.  How many days or weeks do I have to look at ads for something I no longer need.  I don't need to constantly be reminded that I could have bought one of many others.  I bought it.  I'm over it now.

Too bad there isn't a way to call off the advertising dogs and fill out a form to let the cyber ad people know that I'm done shopping for the projector.  After all, it is in their best interest too.  Right?  That way they they can on with their business and try to sell other things to me - things that I didn't just buy and may or may not want - things that I likely don't need.  Then I can get on with being a consumer.

What do you think?

No comments: